Powered by Blogger.

Rustic Scones

A regular treat for my wee Granny and I, is to go to a cafe for a pot of tea and a wee scone. Its almost become a tradition when we meet up. But some times they only have the fruit scones left which i don't like so i cant get my scone fix. *Insert sad face here* ... but behold, i decided to give making my own scones a try, much to the delight of everyone in the house.

It takes little time to whip up a batch and they taste AMAZING with some Jam and Cream ... You could always through in some dried fruit if you like them that way. *My Granny always seems to like the cherry ones.*
*I will say now that I'm sorry i didn't get more pictures but my hands were covered in dough and flour*

You'll Need
8oz self raising flour
pinch of salt
2oz butter (at room temp)
1oz caster sugar
150ml milk (plus a little to glaze)


How to Make
Heat the oven to 180C and lightly grease a baking sheet.

Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the butter.

Stir in the sugar and then the milk to get a soft dough.

Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. 

Place the dough on a floured baking tray and score along the top to mark out the size of scone you want.

Alternatively
Roll out the dough, using a floured rolling pin, to a round 2cm thick. Use a cutter to stamp out rounds and place on a baking sheet.
Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.

Brush the tops of the scones with the milk and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
Cool on a wire rack and serve. (although they are lovely with a little warmth and letting the butter melt).

They might not be very pretty but i always remember my Gran making them like this and they still taste delicious :)